Reading used to be my favorite hobby. I recently discovered it also helps me conquer writer’s block (thanks for the suggestion, professor)! But how do you start?
Everyone has those days where being productive just isn’t going to happen. Today is one of those days for me, but I’m trying all my tricks to get through it.
Those tricks are:
- Don’t listen to the voice in your head. That short story for your literature class does, in fact, need to be written today. Not applicable? [Insert today’s goal(s) here.]
- Hot beverages work wonders. Tea, coffee, hot chocolate…anything warm to sit by your side can help you gather your thoughts with each sip. I speak from experience. Sadly, I also speak from experience when I say you should not spike said drink with alcohol.
- Push through the pain. They say, “No pain, no gain.” This might not work at the gym, but it works at the office…or virtually any other place that isn’t the gym.
- Take a break to gather your thoughts. By “break” I mean two to five minutes, folks. Personally, I like putting water on for tea and pacing while I wait for it to boil. Any amount of physical activity helps clear my mind.
- Avoid Social Media. It’s easier said than done, but when I closed my browser, I got this post done pretty quickly.
These aren’t foolproof methods, but they work for me. What do you do to be more productive?